The Med-Peds social committee typically hosts one-two events every month. We usually find fun local, seasonal activities in Ann Arbor and the surrounding area. Below is a list of recent and upcoming events, as an example of what we do throughout the year. In addition, Med-Peds residents are always invited and welcome to join the many Medicine and Pediatrics social activities scheduled by the categorical programs.
- Shakespeare in the Arb: a production of one of Shakespeare’s comedies, set in the Arboretum, a beautiful green space adjacent to our hospital campus. It is a ‘traveling’ show, with different parts of the Arb representing different settings in the play.
- Pediatrics welcoming picnic, Internal medicine graduation, Med/Peds graduation: lots of opportunities to catch up with our internal medicine and pediatrics colleagues
- Med peds welcome picnic: Annual rendition of our infamous kickball game
- Rolling sculpture car show: Lots of classic cars displayed on Main Street
- Chelsea County Fair Demolition Derby: A local county fair, complete with rides, games, and a figure-8 race of old cars with new engines, painted in wild colors. Last car standing wins.
- Canoeing the Huron river: a program favorite, we start at Argo Pond, and make our way through Ann Arbor to Gallup Park
- Switch party: Seniors impart their wisdom to the interns about the ‘other side’, right before their first switch
- Apple picking at a local orchard: A Michigan fall must-do, usually involving apples (try the Honeycrisp!) as well as donuts, cider, pumpkins, and corn mazes
- Interview season begins: Time to socialize and meet the new applicants
- Thanksgiving: Detroit Turkey Trot (5K) on Thanksgiving Day for those of us who are in town
- Med Peds, Peds, and Internal Medicine Holiday Parties: time to schmooze and socialize with all our colleagues
- Adopt A Family: another yearly med peds tradition, where we support a local family with gifts during the holiday season
- Martin Luther King Day of Service: Those of us who are free participate in a community service activity together
- Detroit Institute of Arts: Day trip to Detroit to explore this fascinating museum with a world-class collection of art.
- Restaurant week: We all go out to dinner together during Ann Arbor’s biannual celebration of local restaurants
- Wine and cheese night: One of the residents will host a night of wine tasting and cheese.
- Curling: Participate in this most unique northern sport with a group of your med peds colleagues
- Bowling/Whirlyball: A fun get indoor together for those still-cold April days
- The Moth Storytelling: Local storytellers tell a short story on a specified theme in front of an audience. Anyone is welcome to tell a story
- Belle Isle 5k Run, on a island next to Detroit. One of many local races available throughout the year.
- Med/peds BBQ: to celebrate the warm spring weather
- Hiking/outdoors activity: To enjoy the spring weather and stay active outside of the hospital.